Ahh M&M cookies, basically a chocolate chip cookie enhanced with rainbow colours and a delicious crunchy candy coating. It’s funny since I seem always put aside the regular-sized M&M’s. There’s something about the mini version that I just adore!
These cookies are the kind that everyone would like. They’re just. that. good. I swear, it would be quite difficult to find someone who didn’t love these cookies, young and old alike. They have a perfectly soft center along with a delicate crunch around the edge, just the way cookies are meant to be. They are chewy, full of sweet vanilla flavour and of course loaded with M&M’s.
Now, if you’re not into cheap chocolate, or looking for a vegan alternative, I highly recommend the Holy Cow Vegan Dark Chocolate Beans. They are definitely a dupe for the old classics. However, the shell of the candy is a bit more crunchy and it has dark chocolate as well. BUT, they have no artificial colours, flavours, or additives and are made without any GMO ingredients. When baking, the shell does soften slightly making them as good (or possibly better!) than the original.
If you also wish to use a natural sweetener, simply replace both brown and white sugar with 1 cup of agave nectar. It’s better for you, and it adds notes of caramel to your cookies.
In the recipe below, it also includes vegan alternatives for all my vegan friends out there. So get baking!
- 1 cup brown sugar and ½ cup white sugar (opt. replace with agave)
- 1 tbsp butter (opt.replace with peanut butter)
- 2 eggs (opt. leave this out or use egg replacer)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ cups M&M’s (opt. replace with Dark Chocolate Beans)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, mix the brown sugar, white sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla with electric mixers on low speed until well mixed.
- Add the 2½ cups flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until just combined; I found it easiest to finish this by hand. Add the extra tablespoons of flour until the dough feels thick and almost dry to the touch. Stir the M&M’s into the dough.
- Roll into large balls and flatten slightly with your palm or the back of a wooden spoon. Bake for 8-10 minutes (they will be slightly underbaked). Remove from cookie sheet right away and place on cooling rack. Let stand for 5-10 minutes to help the cookies hold their shape.
Best wishes and take care,